What is a Director Identification Number (Director ID)?
- The Director Identification Number is a 15 digit unique identifier that will help prevent the use of false or fraudulent director identities with the new registry services of the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS). This will make it easier to trace Director’s relationships with companies, identify and eliminate their involvement in illegal activities such as illegal phoenix activity.
- All Directors will be required under the law to apply for a Director ID.
- A Director ID will only be given to an individual who has verified their identity with the registrar of the ABRS.
- An individual will only need to apply for a Director ID once and will keep it forever even if they change companies, stop being a Director, change their name, or move interstate or overseas.
- Individuals will need to apply for their own Director ID.
Agents or advisors cannot apply for a Director ID on behalf of a client. However, if you need help, your BBB adviser can help guide you through the process.
Who needs a Director ID?
Individuals will be required to hold a Director ID if they are a Director (or act as an Alternate Director) of a:
- Company, a registered Australian body or a registered foreign company under the Corporations Act 2001 (Corporations Act), or
- Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (CATSI Act).
Individuals who intend to become a Director within 12 months may also apply for a Director ID.
When do individuals need to apply for a Director ID?
A transitional arrangement will be in effect following the commencement of the Director ID requirement in November 2021.
Please see below deadline dates:
How do I apply?
Step 1 – Set up myGovID
You will need a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength to apply for your director ID online. If you already have a myGovID app, you can skip this step and move to the next.
If you don’t yet have a myGovID app, you can find information on how to download the app at How to set up myGovID. You will be required to download the app, create an account and provide personal details, such as your Driver’s Licence, Passport, and Medicare details.
The app works similar to other 2-factor authentication (2FA) identification systems and is your access to a range of Government services. If you live outside Australia and can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, you will need to apply with a paper form and provide certified copies of your identity documents.
Step 2 – Gather your documents
You will need to have some information the ATO knows about you when you apply for your director ID:
- your tax file number (TFN)
- your residential address as held by the ATO
- information from two documents to verify your identity
Examples of the documents you can use to verify your identity include:
- bank account details
- an ATO Notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary
Step 3 – Complete your application
Once you have a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, and information to verify your identity, you can log in and apply for your director ID. The application process should take less than 5 minutes.
**It is recommended that you apply for the Director ID on a computer with your mobile phone next to you to enter the 2FA code when prompted**
Step 4 – Inform us
Once you have successfully applied and received your unique Director Identifier number, we ask you to:
- Store the Director ID number in a safe and secure location; and
- Email your Director ID number and your full name to our Corporate Registry team at: DirectorsID@bbbpartners.com.au
How to apply if you cannot get a myGovID
If you can’t get a myGovID with a Standard or Strong identity strength, the best way to apply for a director ID will depend on your situation. Individuals can apply by phone with the below details:
Apply by phone
You can apply by phone if you have:
- an Australian tax file number (TFN)
- the information you need to verify your identity.
When you have the information, you need to apply, contact the ABRS on:
- If you are in Australia, phone 13 62 50
- If you are calling from overseas, phone +61 2 6216 344
- If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English, you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 13 14 50 between 8.00 am and 5.00 pm (AEST) Monday to Friday.
- If you are calling from overseas, phone +61 3 9268 8332. The service will then call the ABRS with an interpreter, so they can help with your query.
Should you have any further queries, regarding the above information, please do not hesitate to contact your trusted advisor.